Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day on Whitsunday

Today I thank my mother and her mother and my grandmothers and all our mothers back through eternity who gave birth again and again and thereby gave me this great blessing of being a mother.

I wouldn't know where to begin to thank my children and their mates for all the happiness they have brought me today and always. I love you all so much, and thank God ceaselessly for each one of you, and for Maya.

It's thrilling to be a mother and to take part in the evolution of the species! Every one of you is raising the bar for humanity - adding humor, beauty, grace, intelligence, and making the world a better place.

Pentecost (White Sunday)happens to be today also. It is celebrated worldwide in various traditions as a time when the Spirit descends. Originally in the Christian tradition, the spirit descended upon the Apostles seven weeks after Christ's resurrection at Easter. White vestments are traditionally worn by celebrant priests and by babies being baptized.

So. Thank you, my children and all my mothers back into eternity, for making me into a mother. And for the blessing in churches worldwide, "May the Holy Spirit descend upon you and remain with you always."