Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sixties Blogging

The idea of a blog is hard to grasp for a neophyte boomer. But when I recently complained to a young relative that my dream of writing the great American novel -or any book - was fading, she told me that writing a blog was much much better than writing a book, and that the rewards could be far greater. Really?!?!? How so???

She said that you can reach far more people, and that the number of readers can grow exponentially so much faster than you could ever imagine. She also said that there’s money to be made- that some bloggers eventually “take on” advertisers and make some income. This I find absolutely fascinating, don’t you? Or perhaps you knew it, but just haven’t found the time to make your niche in the blogosphere. And perhaps you have. I’m here to tell you: nothin’ to it but to do it.

I, who write daily and prolifically to my five children who no doubt occasionally gloss over my well-intentioned observations, was quite interested to know that I could cast these nets upon a larger water. You mean someone might actually read and respond??!! Maybe I don’t have to limit myself to a younger and very busy group of readers, all of whom I gave birth to many years ago- yesteryear, when I knew so much and they knew so little.

So who is the audience? What is my voice? What happens if I’m schizo, a Libra, I can see both sides of the coin? I’m not sure what I think! “Just write and keep writing”, saith she. See what the wind blows in, what the cat drags in, what kind of shape I’m in. It’ll take on a life of its own. So be it.

1 comment:

  1. Susanna linked me to your blog. What a great idea. I enjoy your writing. I see the start of the great American novel.
    warren burrows

    ReplyDelete