Wednesday, October 31, 2007

UFOs - My Sister Kerrin Had a Plan (politicians see them too). I want one!!!!

Well no, I haven't seen one for sure. But I wish I did. I thought I did a few times. I hope I will. Poor Dennis Kucinich tried to explain with dignity, from the platform of the Democratic debate a few years ago, that he had seen a UFO, and then tried to validate himself by saying "Jimmy Carter saw one too!" He pretty well cooked his goose with that one. But now that UFOs are fodder for presidential debate, then laughed off and brushed under the rug by everyone in the media or the public eye who wants to be taken seriously, I think there needs to be a little affirmative action for those of us who still believe. We are innocents in a cynical world!

Eons ago, when I was ten and had a fearful heart, I asked my eight year old sister what she would do if a flying saucer landed and a martian started walking up to her. This question was not really so odd coming from an introspective child in the first few decades after Orson Welles sent a nation into panic with his Halloween '38 broadcast of the War of the Worlds. And the topic was a schoolyard curiosity for those of us who had heard whispered denials about Roswell.

My sister's answer was so good that I was nearly consumed to ashes by flames of jealousy right then and there on my mother's kitchen stoop. She thought for a little bit, coyly twisting her beribboned blonde ponytails as I, an intense and ribbonless brunette, stared at her from behind bandaged eyeglasses. "Well," she said, "I would get a chair and ask him if he wanted to sit down and then I would ask him if he wanted a glass of water."

This made so much sense to me that I immediately decided to find this little martian and outdo my sister's hospitality, come hell or high water. And I did date a few. But alas! never found my own personal E.T.

Who knows what wonders God hath wrought? There's universe upon universe, the scientists are saying now. Surely a few unidentified flying objects needn't send us into a lather of defense. Anyone smart enough to get here could very well teach us a thing or two. It could be fascinating and exhilarating for every single person on earth. Clap your hands if you believe!

So I'm watching the skies and loving little Dennis Kucinich. He didn't need to be president but I'm glad he got a shot at stating his case. If those aliens ever do land, I hope it's in my sister's field. She'll set a pretty little table and treat them good.

2 comments:

  1. I saw one out the window of the High Bed room at the Bugs Nest once when I was 10 or so. Or at least I think it was one. So they will be in your sister's field one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen two UFOs in my lifetime. First one was around 1969 over the VA Hospital off of Delafield Road. Second was over the Westmoreland Country Club in June 1993.

    If one should ever land, I'm sure it would be in the vicinity of the Bugs Nest. :-)

    Kerrin: Please, have a seat, and here's and a cool drink of water.
    Alien: Thanks, but I prefer to stand.

    ReplyDelete