Saturday, January 5, 2008

But Do We Have Time for All the Trappings of Obama's Greatness?

OK, I go back and forth from candidate to candidate, party to party. I was swept off my feet by Obama's speech in Iowa. But I'm already worried about the prospects of an Obama presidency. Maybe the whole greatness thing is over-rated. I'm not sure I want to spend the next four years observing self-conscious greatness surrounded by a smug sycophancy. It's all good, but do we really have time for that? We've got a few jobs to get done. Like, yesterday.

We definitely don't have time to prep for the picture-perfect Christmas card from a Romney White House. They better get off their high horses and get real! I loved when McCain said that Romney has been busy "looking at his shoes." I didn't think I wanted to look at the McCains for four years, but we have to get down to business, and McCain looks like he's ready to roll up his sleeves and kick ass. There are real threats out there, sinister folk just waiting for us to kick back on our laurels at a bunch of inaugural balls, toasting our various social policies, affirmative action, youth and beauty. Better watch our backs.

We need some greatness and glamour after what we've been through, God knows. But what kind, and how much?

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to read that someone else feel the same way I do about Obama. I am not in favor of charisma and destiny and that catch of all catchwords "electability" deciding this election. A glowy aura is not enough.

    So far, I am not impressed at all with the candidates or what's coming out of their mouths.

    ReplyDelete