Thursday, January 3, 2008

Most Exciting Presidential Campaign Ever!

I'm glad I don't live in Iowa, because I don't know what I would do tonight. Supposedly nearly half of Iowans don't make up their minds until the last few days, and I would be with them, going down to the wire in the next hour, still not 100% sure.

Like a multitude of Americans, I can't make up mind about the candidates. It's an embarrassment of riches - so many good people! This morning I thought I had finally settled on Obama, and I was mad about Hillary's last Iowa TV ad. All that make-up when we know she's not really a heavy-make-up kind of girl! But today it occured to me that Hillary is most certainly grieving for Benazir Bhutto, and deserves our sympathy and admiration for the stresses she's enduring so well. Bhutto and Clinton -two such highly-principled women on the world stage, making tremendous personal sacrifices for the sake of democracy- surely connected at a number of levels and may have been friends, I don't know. I regret being so critical of Hillary at such a tender time. She has tried very hard for us. She tried to fix health care, she messed up, but she tried. She's out there for the people, we can't take that away from her. And it's an interesting package, since she comes with Bill. It would be simple-as-pie for them to go back to the White House: a turn-key operation.

But what do we really want? Not the Clintons again, right? We like to laugh once in awhile, with a President we can look up to. We want to stop the insanity in Iraq, but noone seems to know how, since we're in so deep already. Who is experienced and tough enough to deal with terrorists and complex Mid-Eastern governments? McCain has the inside track on the tough guys, they don't come much tougher than he is. Is he our man? Or do we need to invest in, nurture and capitalize on Barack Obama's youth and intelligence, and trust him to lead us forward?

Who will also protect the environment while we develop alternative energies to make us less dependent on foreign oil? Who will help us live in peace and prosperity? Who will keep us safe? Whatever happened to Al Gore? Is he still hanging out with Michael Bloomberg? Will they jump in? I'm so excited about all the prospects out there that I can barely stand it. Don't give up if you're not sure yet about who to vote for. We just have to keep watching and listening as the democratic process unfolds. We're all in the same boat and should be grateful to be moored at the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Do you know when your state's primaries are?

No comments:

Post a Comment