Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Feeling Shipshape!

Never thought I'd climb out of the fog but going back to work did wonders. No longer any need for even Advil. I still look like a chipmunk, but I feel so positive about things in general that I just booked my flight from Delhi to Leh in Ladakh. I'm leaving the US on the 16th for ten days in one of the highest cities on earth! I am completely out of shape and live at sea level, so I hope it's not a recipe for disaster. I'll have plenty of time to get ready- can you lose 25 pounds in two weeks? My daughter says we can buy portable oxygen tanks. The doctor said not to take the high-altitude medicine, just drink lots of water. He also said "You'll be fine! You're healthy!" Ok.

My slightly obsessive tendencies will no doubt take center stage when I start gasping for breath within the first 24 hours. I will probably hyperventilate myself straight to the nearest hospital, which, if all goes according to my little plan (made at the suggestion of an understanding friend), will be right next door to my hotel.

This is so exciting. I can't find a single thing online about people like me (fat, lazy, old, easily excited, BUT JOLLY) going to high altitude places. So I'll rely on the power of prayer and positive thinking. Countdown begins! Leh surely is a pure unsullied little Lhasa!!

-Photos of Leh and Ladakh @ by Brad Carlile

No comments:

Post a Comment