Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Booming Past People Magazine

On Saturday mornings off and on over the last thirty years, I would run from the mailbox into the house, and dive back into bed to read my People Magazine. When my subscription ran out, I knew where I could get the latest issue on Thursday nights, what time it got delivered, and which salesclerk was quickest to get it out on the shelves. Sometimes I ripped it right from the packaging myself and rushed in a flush to the clerk.

For some reason, as soon as I got it in my clutches, a little guilt set in. I mean, after all, I didn't really need it, did I? I'd rather have The Economist and National Geographic any day, right? Who cares about movie stars?

I matured and rationalized as the years went by. What's so bad about People Magazine? It's not the National Enquirer or anything like that. It's fine to have a little escapist reading! But still, I would drop it surreptiously to the floor, cover down, if company came. And it was first to go when the house got cleaned up. It had a kind of junky look if you were in a high-minded mood, playing Chopin or doing yoga. Or when you got a flash in your mind of the strict teachers you used to have. But oh for a good juicy picture of George Clooney!

That was then and this is now. I still buy it, George is still in it once in awhile, but I skip a week here and there and never read it cover to cover anymore.I have absolutely no idea who most of the foolish little people are in there. I do look for hot Style gifts for my twenty and thirty something kids, but as for my own gratification, I hate to say it, but even Alan Greenspan looks more interesting to me these days.

Can't the People publishers do a Boomers Weekly? We may be getting old but we're still cool and we want to carry on a little legitimate non-AARP Boomer Escapism. Carry us onward. Tell us stories about ourselves, give us our own gig! Let us still have just enough mindless guilty pleasure that we hide Boomer People when company comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment