Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Flight

Back in the sixties I boarded a plane with great trepidation, since hitchhiking was illogically my preferred mode for safety. I remember one departure from Santa Barbara to New York when I felt extremely paranoid about flying in general and reluctant to leave my friends in particular. I wanted to turn away from the airport and shirk all responsibilities back East. I was surrounded at the airport by sixties-minded friends who encouraged me by saying words which comfort me still, and not necessarily illogically. One said “You hold that plane up with your mind.” Another proffered “We are all under the same sky.”

As Thanksgiving flights loom large before us, anxieties are heightened, but we may take some sustenance from the President for a change. Georgie Porgie has opened military airway lanes to ease congestion. Not that that eases the situation on the ground at the terminals, but let’s be grateful for what we’re given. Let’s assume we won’t be needing those air paths for anything more than reuniting Americans with their loved ones. Let’s help hold all our planes, trains and automobiles "up" with our minds, through positive thoughts and prayer. And if we are apart from someone we love, take comfort that we are all under the same sky. Then give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment