Monday, February 25, 2008

Academy Award Night: Always Fun, Thanks to My Kids

It was exciting a few weeks ago to learn that the Writer's Strike was ending, and that the Academy Awards would go on. At out house, it's always been an occasion, because we all love the movies. When the kids were little, they had astonishing gifts for following complex plotlines of political thrillers that left me clueless. One daughter could quote famous lines from famous movies from the time she was a toddler. One daughter loved all psychological thrillers. A Perfect Murder was a family favorite. One daughter loved Patriot Games, which I never understood, and she watched it again and again. One daughter's face was always covered with quiet tears at sad endings. My son analyzed and dissected earnestly every bit of the way. On Oscar nights my son and daughters dressed up like movie stars, ascot, boas, sequins, old prom gowns. Through the years, we switched it up and switched it down- we might have had chips and dips, little hotdogs wrapped in toasted dough, gingerale in champagne glasses, fondue.

So now they are grown, and it's still a big night for me. We exchange a few text messages about the red carpet interviews, gowns, hairstyles, facial expressions and acceptance speeches, as the show goes on. One daughter, a director of a local movie theater restoration project, helps host a "Night at the Oscars" party at the theater where the awatds are shown on the big screen. One daughter and her husband had a little party, with a spread of hors d'oeuvres and printed ballots so friends and family can vote, including another daughter, in from Austin with her boyfriend. Two of my kids live in New York City,and in the heartland of celebritydom, and always have interesting sightings and anecdotes to share.

It helps to feel a little connection to a worthy nominee, however slim. Last year I was rooting for "Lives of Others" because my daughter's college roommate was related to the director. I was thrilled that it won for Best Foreign Film. Having just watched "La Vie En Rose" yesterday afternoon with my daughter On Demand, I was so happy that Marion Cotillard won for her incroyable performance as Edith Piaf.

Ah The Oscars! I thank my kids for always making it interesting and fun. Even though now I have tea and a piece of chocolate and toddle off to bed before it's over, it's always a great night. Congratulations one and all. Hooray for Hollywood.

1 comment:

  1. I loved watching Miss America from Atlantic City with you how many years ago???

    ReplyDelete