Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nutty dinner table conversation

I've never been able to figure out where I keep my checkbooks. So we talk about it around the dinner table, me myself and I: my echo, my shadow, and me. One of us will say "Well when the kids were little you used to always put them on the shelf in your closet" and another will say "But then you switched to the drawer in the antique desk." And then I'll chime in "It was too messy in there so you switched to the glove compartment of the car." Someone screams "you must have a spare in your purse."
My shadow, always aloof and occasionally sinister, tells me that I am so disorganized I don't even realize it's time to reorder checks because I don't have any anywhere. But aha! I have three checking accounts, just to be sure, they can't possibly all be depleted of funds and access by paper. Oh who uses paper anymore anyway?, just do it online! But I need to float the check, you idiot, don't you get it?

This dinner table conversation, such as it is, takes place at the computer, and by my modern day candlelight, the glow of the monitor. Once in awhile my grown kids stop by the house and turn my keyboard upside down, laughing at the crumbs that fall out. They know nothing about my busy times. Go on, say grace. Pass the potatoes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to include "We Three" by one of my all time favorites, The Inkspots, but I'll include the lyrics and a video of them singing another great song, "If I Didn't Care". So pretty! I love the lead singer's hands, facial expressions and his sweet confidence! I think his name is Billy "Butterball" Bowen. Courtesy of Balboa Bill.


We three, we're all alone
Living in a mem-o-ry
My echo, my shadow, and me

We three, we're not a crowd
We're not even company
My echo, my shadow, and me

What good is the moonlight
The silvery moonlight that shines above?
I walk with my shadow
I talk with my echo
But where is the one I love?

We three, we'll wait for you
Even till eter-ni-ty
My echo, my shadow, and me

No comments:

Post a Comment