Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Setting Politics Aside

I believed Obama would win California at least. He's doing fine, and the race is still tight, but now some of us are pondering foreign countries where we could relocate if Bill and Hillary recapture the White House. I have been feeling bad about the collage I made of poor Hillary, and my unkind words about Billary. But I feel worse when I consider our electorate here in the good old USA. What is happening? Our citizens at large aren't educated as they once were. No more Latin, no more Western Civilization,no more four years of French, no more pride of the Founding Fathers. Young people aren't inculcated with values of respect and loving kindness as they once were, say 50 years ago. We've had a disastrous evolution from the drug-addled intentions of our misguided and issue-driven youths in the 60s and 70s.

Those of us who ponder the American landscape, and who have felt the winds of change and the sweet fragrance of hope may have to wait. I'm ridiculously naive about politics and definitely don't know who should win. I shouldn't even be talking politics, I'm not well-read enough. That's why I'm so curious about the electorate. How well-read is anyone else? Today I'm watching Huckabee, who is so funny! and I'm thinking ok, maybe I could jump on HIS bandwagon. So don't pay attention to me, I apparently haven't got the courage of my convictions- remember when we all did??. I'm going to go back to my roots for awhile, and will think about Lent, which starts today. I'm thinking forty days and forty nights in the wilderness....but my self-discipline is lagging behind my good intentions. Which reminds me of poor old St Paul, and that passage from Romans 7 where he describes his struggle towards self-discipline:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

And remember this on Ash Wednesday, Psalm 51:

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your
loving-kindness; in your great compassion blot out my offenses.

2 Wash me through and through from my wickedness and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight.

5 And so you are justified when you speak and upright in your judgment

6 Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth, a sinner from my mother's womb.

7 For behold, you look for truth deep within me, and will make me understand wisdom secretly.

8 Purge me from my sin, and I shall be pure; wash me, and I shall be clean indeed.

9 Make me hear of joy and gladness, that the body you have broken may rejoice.

10 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquities.

11 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

12 Cast me not away from your presence and take not your holy Spirit from me.

13 Give me the joy of your saving help again and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.

14 I shall teach your ways to the wicked, and sinners shall return to you.

15 Deliver me from death, O God, and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness, O God of my salvation.

16 Open my lips, O Lord, and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.

17 Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice; but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.

18 The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

No comments:

Post a Comment