Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Come to think of it, why haven't I gotten my Barack Obama t-shirt yet?

When I was feeling swept up in the Obama excitement, I ordered a Barack Obama t-shirt and some lapel pins from the Barack Obama website store. http://store.barackobama.com/ I wanted the Obama khaki "Face" t-shirt, like the one will.i.am wears in his "yes we can" video, available under men's t-shirts. The Obama website explained that the medium size shirt I wanted was back-ordered, and would take "several weeks" due to huge demand. Medium was on backorder, small was on backorder, large was on backorder, but there was immediate availability if you wanted extra-large,and so I did. I figured it could be a nightgown, and I'd have it day after tomorrow. That was February 6th. The money was deducted from my account two days later. Now it's March 20th. Still no shirt.

Yet every day I have gotten requests for more money, and letters addressed to me by my first name, in a familiar tone, and signed "Barack"- when I know he doesn't have time for such nonsense. The letters do not accord in tone with his speeches, and I don't even read them anymore. Even if he did have time to dash off a few letters daily to his millions of potential donors, does he really have to sign them "Barack"? What's wrong with saying something realistic like "Dear friends and supporters"- from Barack Obama? Are we such needy little simpletons that we are expected to believe the man is writing to us personally? Do his staffers think we are idiots out here?

This false familiarity really bothers me. Letters letters letters, but not one from the barack obama store about my shirt, other than the confirmation, six weeks ago, that I ordered it. Is this the real Obama support system? Can't they even put together a STORE?! Are they really so disorganized that they can't get it together to make up some t-shirts? I have some friends who could probably get it together and print up all the tshirts they need in a few weeks. I could wrap them up and go to the post office, and send them out myself, maybe ask one of my daughters to help me. No problemo. Unless I had gotten really knocked for a loop, and had bitten off more than I could chew, and was in way way over my head. Or unless I somehow lost the money that people had paid to me to make and mail the shirts. I must admit, I'm starting to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment