Tuesday, March 4, 2008

An Exciting Day in Boomer Politics

I don't know how people make up their minds about truth in the political process. Some days I realize I'm becoming more conservative in my old age, and that I may be evolving into a Republican. I repudiate my liberal youth in many ways. I have examined first-hand the results of inclusion and affirmative action policies, which are presumably based on an interpretation of the Constitutional allowance that "all men are created equal," and I have come to doubt the rationale for that interpretation. I'm here to tell you that I was in no way and no how created equal with Audrey Hepburn, for instance. People are created equal only in a most abstract way. In a philosophical sense it's tabula rasa, go get 'em. Then there are biological, genetic and circumstantial imperatives that lead to characterological developments, for better or worse, come hell or high water. But that's neither here nor there right now. Suffice it to say, almost everyone has a shot if a lot of things go right. Now we basically have three people running for President, and for somebody, things are going to start going wrong real soon. Today Texas and Ohio are going to have a lot to do with that.

In any case I'm rooting for Obama most of the time, and I got an Obama 08 lapel pin, but I haven't yet worn it for some strange reason. (Well- not so strange, it's not appropriate in my workplace, and also I was slightly put off by all the over-friendly email I got soliciting funds and signed "Barack" after I ordered a few lapel pins and that Will-i-am t-shirt.) Setting aside consideration of true presidential qualifications, and going with the gut feelings that lead many Americans into the voting booth, I feel ok about McCain, because he's sort of a combo Republican-Democrat and he was hanging there by his own broken arms in the POW camp and still wouldn't rat out his buddies, or leave without them. My forebears would not roll over in their graves if I voted for him! Then Hillary had to go and do a great job on Saturday Night Live, and then most endearingly call her situation "pretty pathetic" on the Jon Stewart Show. That got her some votes for sure. Those Clintons are micromanaging every vote!

This has truly got to be the most exciting Presidential race ever. I'm glad all of our candidates have a sense of humor, and I wish them all well when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment